rpc.umntall error on boot

Rick Macklem rmacklem at uoguelph.ca
Tue Nov 8 01:10:01 UTC 2011

Robert Simmons wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 6, 2011 at 7:44 PM, Rick Macklem <rmacklem at uoguelph.ca>
> wrote:
> > What happens is that /etc/rc.d/nfsclient is executed before
> > /etc/rc.d/mountd. It finds /var/db/mountdtab non-empty and tries to
> > get a port from rpcbind for mountd. Since mountd isn't running yet,
> > so it fails. Since telling the server on the same machine to clear
> > out /var/db/mountdtab for the client is basically meaningless,
> > failing
> > shouldn't be a problem.
>
> Would there be any drawbacks to moving /etc/rc.d/nfsclient to later in
> the process so that mountd is already running?

I don't quite know how to do that. nfsclient can be set to require mountd
to be done first, but most clients won't want mountd to be done at all.

I think the only time this happens is when an NFS server has mounted file
systems on itself. Although some do this (for testing?), I don't think this
is a practical configuration for production use. As such, I don't see the
message as an issue?

rick