Default inode number too low in FFS nowadays?

Chris Rees utisoft at gmail.com
Thu Nov 3 16:46:29 UTC 2011

On 3 Nov 2011 15:27, "Adam McDougall" <mcdouga9 at egr.msu.edu> wrote:

> On 11/03/11 05:41, Borja Marcos wrote:
>>

>> And the /usr was small because I need a lot of room for /var.
>

> The way you've described the issue sounds like it concerns mainly just
ports, so perhaps a ports-specific adjustment like below is appropriate and
an easy solution for any admin with sufficient inodes available on a
partition of their choosing?  I am concerned about the drawbacks
(performance) of increasing the ratio of inodes on /usr just to accommodate
an optional and somewhat flexible component.

> I've been setting this for many years now even when it is not a space
concern on /usr, it keeps my /usr/ports tree clean and puts all the "junk"
in a location I can easily clean out:

> WRKDIRPREFIX=/var/tmp/ports

... but then you need a bigger than default /var...

Personally I use /usr/obj and occasionally nuke it (I know we're running
out of inode on /usr, but rm should solve that problem).

Chris

Chris