Default inode number too low in FFS nowadays?

Ivan Voras ivoras at freebsd.org
Thu Nov 3 12:44:18 UTC 2011

On 02/11/2011 12:57, Borja Marcos wrote:

> Hi
>
> Today I´ve come across an issue long ago forgotten :) Running out of i-nodes.

Actually, nowadays I mostly *reduce* the number of inodes rather than
increasing it, since I often have large files and want to reduce fsck
time (but that's a corner case).

> Looking at the number of i-nodes per /usr subdirectory, I have noticed that, wow! /usr/ports consumes A LOT of them.
>
> freebsd9-borja#	find . -print | wc -l
>   405481

Did you forget to do "make clean" after "make install" on several large
ports?

But yes, the ports tree is getting a bit unwieldy. On the other hand,
did you fsck the file system lately?