Default inode number too low in FFS nowadays?

Lee Dilkie Lee at Dilkie.com
Wed Nov 2 13:49:21 UTC 2011

On 11/2/2011 1:36 PM, Daniel Kalchev wrote:

> On 02.11.11 15:13, Jeremy Chadwick wrote:
>> On Wed, Nov 02, 2011 at 12:57:33PM +0100, Borja Marcos wrote:
>>> Today I?ve come across an issue long ago forgotten :) Running out of
>>> i-nodes.
>> [...]
>>
>> There's a reason /usr on FreeBSD defaults to "all the remaining space on
>> the disk" if you pick the defaults/auto.  Surprise.  :-)
>>
>> The summarised version is:
>>
>> 1. You have control over this yourself: newfs(8) -i flag.  You can even
>> input this flag during sysinstall when building a new system.
>>
>> [...]
>
> Just for the completeness of it, one would use ZFS and be done with
> this issue. :-)

Are you suggesting that ZFS be the default FS?

My only concern with ZFS is that it still appears to be in flux and have
some issues. I don't know, from monitoring this list, if those are
issues that heavy load users experience and ZFS is as stable as UFS or
if it isn't. I just know I see issues being raised.

-lee