kern/133174: [msdosfs] [patch] msdosfs must support utf-encoded international characters in filr names

Alexey Dokuchaev danfe at nsu.ru
Tue May 31 08:40:06 UTC 2011

The following reply was made to PR kern/133174; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Alexey Dokuchaev <danfe at nsu.ru>
To: bug-followup at FreeBSD.org
Cc: Xin LI <delphij at delphij.net>
Subject: Re: kern/133174: [msdosfs] [patch] msdosfs must support utf-encoded international characters in filr names
Date: Tue, 31 May 2011 15:35:16 +0700

 I confirm that msdosfs patch (ntfs one is no longer accessible) applies to
 my recent 8.2-STABLE and fixes display of Chinese characters with my local
 ru_RU.UTF-8 locale.

 Discussion on fs@ was followed up Yoshihiro Ota <ota at j.email.ne.jp> [1]
 which reported these is someone else working on the same or similar. [2]

 I fully agree with Yoshihiro-san in his question:  Is anyone intend to
 work on this issue?  We have a patch, we have reports that it works, and
 it seems that all is missing is review of msdosfs expert.  And I know we
 have those.  ;-)

 [1] http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/mid.cgi?20090216000044.d77fec80.ota
 [2] http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/mid.cgi?courier.44DE0FB1.0001160E