kern/153804: boot from zfs kernel.old recovery undocumented/impossible

Pan Tsu inyaoo at gmail.com
Wed May 25 09:00:25 UTC 2011

The following reply was made to PR kern/153804; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Pan Tsu <inyaoo at gmail.com>
To: Andriy Gapon <avg at FreeBSD.org>
Cc: bug-followup at FreeBSD.org, Nick Sayer <nsayer at kfu.com>
Subject: Re: kern/153804: boot from zfs kernel.old recovery undocumented/impossible
Date: Wed, 25 May 2011 12:52:38 +0400

 Andriy Gapon <avg at FreeBSD.org> writes:

 > Try the following options:
 >
 > 1)
 > unload
 > set kernel=kernel.old
 > boot
 >
 > 2)
 > unload
 > load /boot/kernel.old/kernel
 > load -t /boot/zfs/zpool.cache /boot/zfs/zpool.cache

 zpool_cache_type can be anything. loader(8) unlike grub2 doesn't enforce
 type to be "/boot/zfs/zpool.cache".

 > boot

 Whatever happened to just typing following?

   boot kernel.old

 It assumes zpool.cache was already preloaded by failed attempt to boot
 default kernel. No need to `unload' the kernel, `boot' replaces it.