ZFS Problem - full disk, can't recover space :(.

Dr Josef Karthauser josef.karthauser at unitedlane.com
Tue May 10 15:44:56 UTC 2011

On 28 Mar 2011, at 09:57, Alexander Leidinger wrote:

> Quoting Dr Josef Karthauser <josef.karthauser at unitedlane.com> (from Sun, 27 Mar 2011 11:01:04 +0100):
>
>> I'd really like my disk space back though please! I suspect that I'm going to have to wait for 28 to have that happen though :(.
>
> As an intermediate action you could export the pool, boot a 9-current live-image, import the pool there and export it again. I do not know if you need to do a scrub or not to recover the free space or not. AFAIK you do not need to update to v28, the new code should take care about the issue without an update.
>
> This will not prevent loosing space again, but at least it should give back the lost space for the moment.

Ok, I've finally got around to do this. It hasn't recovered the space, but it at least is billing it to the right file system now:

	infinity# zfs list void/j/legacy-alpha
	NAME                  USED  AVAIL  REFER  MOUNTPOINT
	void/j/legacy-alpha  58.9G  4.11G  56.9G  /j/legacy-alpha

	# du -hs /j/legacy-alpha
	 34G	/j/legacy-alpha

Hmm. It's a pain that I've currently only got 24gb free on this pool, otherwise I could do a copy and destroy to try and free it up.

Joe