Filesystem Hierarchy Standard (FHS) and FreeBSD

Mark Felder feld at feld.me
Tue May 10 14:55:55 UTC 2011

On Tue, 10 May 2011 03:47:24 -0500, Šimun Mikecin <numisemis at gmail.com>
wrote:

> FHS is Linux centric instead of trying to be useful to other non-Linux
> UNIXes (like OpenGroup does).
> We already have hier(7):

Jeff,

This might seem rather blunt/rude but honestly I don't foresee the FreeBSD
project integrating with the FHS. The hier(7) layout has been a lot of
work and it's something the project really strives to standardize on. As a
FreeBSD user, we've been used to "porting" applications to not only run on
FreeBSD but also adhere properly to the hier(7) structure. But if the FHS
wants to adopt hier(7) we won't complain....

Regards,

Mark