ZFS can't mount filesystem

Jeremy Chadwick freebsd at jdc.parodius.com
Sat May 7 06:44:06 UTC 2011

On Sat, May 07, 2011 at 09:20:57AM +0400, Igor Zabelin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have trouble with ZFS. One of set filesystems can't mount.
> zpool scrub is not doing anything
> ZFS reports an error when geting the properties.
> SMART extended offline test for each disk completed without error.
> It's possible to recover data? Mount ignoring errors?
>
> FreeBSD 8.2-RELEASE
>
> ZFS reports an error when geting the properties.
>
> # zfs get all tank/var
>
> [skip normal output]
> internal error: unable to get version property
> internal error: unable to get utf8only property
> internal error: unable to get normalization property
> internal error: unable to get casesensitivity property
> [skip normal output]
>
> # zpool status -v tank
>   pool: tank
>  state: ONLINE
> status: One or more devices has experienced an error resulting in data
>         corruption.  Applications may be affected.
> action: Restore the file in question if possible.  Otherwise restore the
>         entire pool from backup.
>    see: http://www.sun.com/msg/ZFS-8000-8A
>  scrub: scrub stopped after 0h0m with 0 errors on Sat May  7 08:09:35 2011
> config:
>
>         NAME           STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
>         tank           ONLINE       0     0    36
>           raidz1       ONLINE       0     0   144
>             gpt/disk5  ONLINE       0     0     0
>             gpt/disk6  ONLINE       0     0     0
>             gpt/disk7  ONLINE       0     0     0
>
> errors: Permanent errors have been detected in the following files:
>
>         tank/var:<0x0>

Just to rule out disk problems, can you please provide "smartctl -a"
output for each of the 3 disks in the pool and be sure to state what
output matches each disk (gpt/XXX)?  A long test doesn't act act as full
validation of disk read integrity (it's slightly different than a
surface scan but not the same thing), nor does it test things like
communication between the controller and the disk.  short vs. long vs.
conveyance vs. offline vs. select SMART tests all do different things
depending on how the vendor implements them, and it varies per model of
disk; there is no standard.

Others may be able to help with pool recovery in this case, but I always
tend to resort to restoration from backups.

Developers may be interested in the output from "zdb tank", so you may
want to include that here.