zfs v28 destory -r snapshot failure

Freddie Cash fjwcash at gmail.com
Thu May 5 16:36:41 UTC 2011

On Wed, May 4, 2011 at 11:22 PM, John <john at theusgroup.com> wrote:
> Applied this patch set stable-8-zfsv28-20110501.patch.xz to a fresh download
> of 8.2-release, buildworld, buildkernel, install and rebooted. Did not upgrade
> pool or filesystems.
>
> Made a snapshot of tank/foo at today, then tried to delete with
> zfs destroy -r tank at today yielded:
> cannot destroy 'tank at today': dataset does not exist
> no snapshots destroyed

So, you have a snapshot tank/foo at today, but you don't have a snapshot
tank at today, and you expect it to be able to delete the non-existent
tank at foo?

> If tank at today exists along with tank/foo at today, then the destroy works
> correctly.

Makes sense.  tank at today exists, so you can destroy it.
tank/foo at today also exists, so you can destroy it as part of the
recursion.

> Rebooted with kernel.old which is 8.2-release without the v28 patch and
> zfs destroy -r tank at today deleted tank/foo at today without an error.

That sounds like an error, since you shouldn't be able to destroy
something that doesn't exist.

But, maybe my understanding of how -r works is faulty.

--
Freddie Cash
fjwcash at gmail.com