TRIM clustering

Tue May 3 11:48:44 UTC 2011

Quoting Pawel Jakub Dawidek <pjd at FreeBSD.org> (from Sun, 1 May 2011
15:37:52 +0200):

> On Sun, May 01, 2011 at 12:06:56AM +0200, Alexander Leidinger wrote:
>> On Sat, 30 Apr 2011 00:28:31 -0700 Jeremy Chadwick
>> <freebsd at jdc.parodius.com> wrote:
>>
>> > On Sat, Apr 30, 2011 at 09:54:02AM +0300, Alexander Motin wrote:
>>
>> > Other notes: TRIM needs to be supported on swap as well, and in my
>> > opinion this is just as important as it being in UFS.  I'm not sure
>> > how one would implement that.
>>
>> This brings up the question if a ZFS cache (where the contents do not
>> survive a reboot) is completely TRIMmed before used (and normally
>> trimmed during use)...
>
> It is not trimmed at all.

This does not sound like the optimal solution... is there a way to
know the first access after boot/attach to a cache device? If yes,
would it be possible to TRIM the complete provider (except for some
static data which needs to be there) from this place? This would not
solve the not TRIMmed during use part, put at least a reboot/reattach
could provide a sane state.

Bye,
Alexander.

--