newnfs client and statfs

Rick Macklem rmacklem at uoguelph.ca
Mon May 2 19:15:19 UTC 2011

> > I'll try and make my Solaris10 box get to -ve frees and then see
> > what
> > it puts on the wire. After that, I'll start a discussion on
> > freebsd-fs@
> > about how they think a FreeBSD server should behave when f_bavail
> > and/or
> > f_ffree are negative.
>
> The result on Solaris would be interesting. Does Solaris still support
> ffs? You said later that you couldn't get it to generate negative
> values.

It has some variation of FFS with logging, which is what I use. Writing
a file as root fails with "no space" when "df" reports about 7000blocks
free. (I have no idea why it stops at around 7000. Something to do with
the log, maybe?)

Anyhow, it doesn't report negative values and all the fields in what
they call "struct statfvs" are unsigned numbers, including bavail.

rick