net80211 and interface requests

Adam Stylinski kungfujesus06 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 30 21:40:23 UTC 2011

Hello,

This list has helped me before so I'll email again with the hopes that
somebody has an answer.  All is working well with my project, however for
the life of me I cannot get the interface to inject the raw frames faster
than 11mbps.  I'm following the example given in
/usr/src/tools/tools/net80211/wlaninject.c, and manually specifying
parameters such as ucastrate, mcastrate, and mgmtrate within ifconfig.  I'm
putting the card into pureg mode, and yet I still can't inject any faster.
 I've even gone so far as to specify an ieee802211_txparam struct giving
values of 255 both mcast and ucast rates within the struct (and of course
anding them by 0xff).  I then used the ioctl call to set the flags within
the interface request.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I am doing nanosleeps in between transmissions as if I don't the bpf clone
can't inject due to the buffer being too full.  There's probably a better
way of doing this, but I doubt the nanosleeps are the issue (afterall, I get
almost exactly 11mbps).  I should probably note I'm not doing any ACKs, this
is pure transmits.

If anybody cares enough to look at my unpolished code to get a better idea,
look here:

http://projhinternet.svn.sourceforge.net/

The idea is to allow unidirectional traffic so that with an FCC amateur
license (yes I know I'm not currently broadcasting the call sign as of yet)
you can broadcast unencrypted transmissions for miles (with a linear
amplifier spec'd to 2.4ghz).  With the license FCC part15 no longer applies
and you can operate just like in any other amateur band.