ZFS Problem - full disk, can't recover space :(.

Dr Josef Karthauser josef.karthauser at unitedlane.com
Sat Mar 26 21:27:16 UTC 2011

Help!

Foolishly I let my ZFS system run out of disk space. I've removed the errant logs, but the space has not been returned. Not sure why. There are no snapshots, and I've even desperately rebooted the machine, but the space is still lost.

	# zfs list void/store
	NAME	USED	AVAIL	REFER	MOUNTPOINT
	void/store	57.2G	2.3G		57.2G	/store
	# du -hs /store
	34G	/store

Any idea on were the 23G has gone, or how I pursuade the zpool to return it? Why is the filesystem referencing storage that isn't being used?

To confirm, there are no snapshots here, so there shouldn't be anything referencing that data. When I found the machine it had 0 available, but I've found the 2.3G by removing some other files. Not sure why some should hand the space back whilst others done.

This is a bit of an emergency for me, so I'd really appreciate a quick response if anyone knows!

Many thanks,
Joe

p.s. this is FreeBSD 8.2 with ZFS pool version 15.