ZFS on a single disk?

Jeremy Chadwick freebsd at jdc.parodius.com
Fri Mar 4 13:39:02 UTC 2011

On Fri, Mar 04, 2011 at 05:18:49AM -0800, Jeremy Chadwick wrote:
> Speculative: Joe may be in the same boat I am with one of my customers:
> they use PHP eAccelerator (binary-only, only works on i386 *and* uses
> compat6x) as well as ZendOptimizer (works on amd64 but I'm not sure if
> this works with newer PHP), plus cannot upgrade to PHP 5.3 for a
> multitude of reasons.  I also have no idea how the above two PHP
> extensions would play with a PHP built natively for amd64 (e.g. PHP
> amd64, eAcclerator i386 + compat6x libraries/libc/etc., ZendOptimizer
> amd64).  I have fought time and time again with this customer about the
> use of this software ("is there REALLY any way you can get rid of it?"),
> but they absolutely will not budge.

Off-topic:

I just re-reviewed this.  I'm trying to recall the "doesn't work on
amd64" bits I kept encountering when dealing with either
www/eaccelerator or devel/ZendOptimizer, or maybe something one of those
two depended on.  I'm looking at the Makefiles for both ports and
neither seem to indicate this is the case, so I'm at a bit of a loss and
feel ashamed stating something that may not be true.  But rest assured
there was, for quite some time, something related to those two which did
not work/build on amd64.  (Even file annotations aren't really helping
me track down what I was encountering)

I guess I'll need to re-visit this situation with a test/devel box for
the customer.