ZFS disk names and gptid under 8.2-RELEASE

a.smith at ukgrid.net a.smith at ukgrid.net
Tue Mar 1 17:11:16 UTC 2011

Hi,

   I've just upgraded my first production server to 8.2-RELEASE, all
fine except for one thing. ZFS is now listing my disk devices by their
gptid names, ie

# zpool status
   pool: nfsen
  state: ONLINE
  scrub: none requested
config:

         NAME                                            STATE
READ WRITE CKSUM
         nfsen                                           ONLINE
0     0     0
           mirror                                        ONLINE
0     0     0
             gptid/55c03af2-5c54-11df-af69-001143d8b2eb  ONLINE
0     0     0
             gptid/58ef6152-5c54-11df-af69-001143d8b2eb  ONLINE
0     0     0

errors: No known data errors

Previously they were showing as ada0p1 etc. I was quite happy with the
previous method as I'd fixed the device names via /boot/device.hints
and this made it (to me) perfectly human readable without having to
use labels. Is this something that in 8.2 is now hard coded into ZFS?
Ie I am forced to use gptid or disk labelling?

thanks Andy.