[RFC] [patch] periodic status-zfs: list pools in daily emails

Wed Jun 29 13:15:50 UTC 2011

Quoting Jeremy Chadwick <freebsd at jdc.parodius.com> (from Wed, 29 Jun
2011 04:19:15 -0700):

> At my workplace we use a heavily modified version of Netsaint, with bits
> and pieces Nagios-like created.  I happened to write the perl code used
> to monitor our production Solaris systems (~2000+ servers) for ZFS pool
> status.  It parses "zpool status -x" output, monitoring read, write, and
> checksum errors per pool, vdev, and device, in addition to general pool
> status.  I tested too many conditions, not to mention had to deal with
> parsing pains as a result of ZFS code changes, plus supporting
> completely different revisions of Solaris 10 in production.  And before
> someone asks: no, I cannot provide the source (employee agreements, LCA,
> etc...).  I did have to dig through ZFS source code to figure out a
> bunch of necessary bits too, so don't be surprised if you have to too.
>
> My recommendation: just look for pools which are in any state other than
> ONLINE (don't try to be smart with an OR regex looking for all the
> combos; it doesn't scale when ZFS changes), and you should also handle
> situations where a device is currently undergoing manual or automatic
> device replacement (specifically regex '^[\t\s]+replacing\s+DEGRADED'),
> which will be important to people who keep spares in pools.  This might
> be difficult with just standard BSD sh, but BSD awk should be able to
> handle this.

Thanks for your suggestions, but the script is intentionally dump:
It runs "zpool status" and looks for "all pools are healthy". If this
line is not there, the output is marked as important (this is
important if you decided to configure periodic.conf to skip
unimportant output). All the rest is up to the person which reads the
daily run output.

The zpool list output which is added in the patch under discussion, is
just displaying "zpool list" additionally to the output of zpool
status (if activated).

Bye,
Alexander.

--
"I'll reason with him."
		-- Vito Corleone, "Chapter 14", page 200