ZFS L2ARC hit ratio

Wiktor Niesiobedzki bsd at vink.pl
Tue Jun 21 20:22:32 UTC 2011

Hi,

I've recently migrated my 8.2 box to recent stable:
FreeBSD kadlubek.vink.pl 8.2-STABLE FreeBSD 8.2-STABLE #22: Tue Jun  7
03:43:29 CEST 2011     root at kadlubek:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/KADLUB  i386

And upgraded my ZFS/ZPOOL to newest versions. Though through my
monitoring I've noticed some declination in L2ARC hit ratio (server is
not busy, so it doesn't look that suspicious). I've made some tests
today and I guess, that there might be some problem:

I've did the following on cold cache:
sysctl kstat.zfs.misc.arcstats.hits kstat.zfs.misc.arcstats.l2_hits
kstat.zfs.misc.arcstats.misses kstat.zfs.misc.arcstats.l2_misses &&
cat 4gb_file>/dev/null && sysctl kstat.zfs.misc.arcstats.hits
kstat.zfs.misc.arcstats.l2_hits kstat.zfs.misc.arcstats.misses
kstat.zfs.misc.arcstats.l2_misses

And after computing the differences I've got:
kstat.zfs.misc.arcstats.hits	1213775
kstat.zfs.misc.arcstats.l2_hits	21
kstat.zfs.misc.arcstats.misses	37364
kstat.zfs.misc.arcstats.l2_misses	37343

That's pretty normal. After that, I've noticed the growth in L2ARC
usage by 4gb, but, when I do the same operation again, the results are
worrying:
kstat.zfs.misc.arcstats.hits	1188662
kstat.zfs.misc.arcstats.l2_hits	305
kstat.zfs.misc.arcstats.misses	36933
kstat.zfs.misc.arcstats.l2_misses	36628

+/- the same.

I've did some gstating during these tests, and I've noticed around 2
reads per second from my cache device accounting for about 32kb per
second. Not that much.

My first guess, is that for some reason, we claim that L2ARC record is
outdated and thus not using it at all.

Any clues, why L2ARC isn't kicking in this situation at all? I notice
some substantial (like 5-10%) hits from L2ARC during the cronjobs
though, but this simple scenario is just failing...

For the record below are some other details:
%zfs get all tank
NAME  PROPERTY              VALUE                  SOURCE
tank  type                  filesystem             -
tank  creation              Sat Dec  5  3:37 2009  -
tank  used                  572G                   -
tank  available             343G                   -
tank  referenced            441G                   -
tank  compressratio         1.00x                  -
tank  mounted               yes                    -
tank  quota                 none                   default
tank  reservation           none                   default
tank  recordsize            128K                   default
tank  mountpoint            /tank                  default
tank  sharenfs              off                    default
tank  checksum              on                     default
tank  compression           off                    default
tank  atime                 off                    local
tank  devices               on                     default
tank  exec                  on                     default
tank  setuid                on                     default
tank  readonly              off                    default
tank  jailed                off                    default
tank  snapdir               hidden                 default
tank  aclinherit            restricted             default
tank  canmount              on                     default
tank  xattr                 off                    temporary
tank  copies                1                      default
tank  version               5                      -
tank  utf8only              off                    -
tank  normalization         none                   -
tank  casesensitivity       sensitive              -
tank  vscan                 off                    default
tank  nbmand                off                    default
tank  sharesmb              off                    default
tank  refquota              none                   default
tank  refreservation        none                   default
tank  primarycache          all                    default
tank  secondarycache        all                    default
tank  usedbysnapshots       0                      -
tank  usedbydataset         441G                   -
tank  usedbychildren        131G                   -
tank  usedbyrefreservation  0                      -
tank  logbias               latency                default
tank  dedup                 off                    default
tank  mlslabel                                     -
tank  sync                  standard               default

%zpool status tank
  pool: tank
 state: ONLINE
 scan: scrub repaired 0 in 7h23m with 0 errors on Wed Jun 15 07:53:29 2011
config:

 NAME                                          STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
 tank                                          ONLINE       0     0     0
   raidz1-0                                    ONLINE       0     0     0
     ad6.eli                                   ONLINE       0     0     0
     ad8.eli                                   ONLINE       0     0     0
     ad10.eli                                  ONLINE       0     0     0
 cache
   gptid/7644bfda-e141-11de-951e-004063f2d074  ONLINE       0     0     0

errors: No known data errors

Cheers,

Wiktor Niesiobedzki