[CFR][ZFS] Allow async event processing with a R/O root FS

Pawel Jakub Dawidek pjd at FreeBSD.org
Wed Jun 15 13:27:50 UTC 2011

On Wed, Jun 15, 2011 at 07:07:16AM -0600, Justin T. Gibbs wrote:
> On 6/15/11 6:15 AM, Pawel Jakub Dawidek wrote:
> >On Tue, Jun 14, 2011 at 04:45:06PM -0600, Justin T. Gibbs wrote:
> >>Allow ZFS asynchronous event handling to proceed even if the
> >>root file system is mounted read-only.  This restriction appears
> >>to have been put in place to avoid errors with updating the
> >>configuration cache file.  However:
> >>
> >>   o The majority of asynchronous event handling does not involve
> >>     configuration cache file updates.
> >>   o The configuration cache file need not be on the root file system,
> >>     so the check was not complete.
> >Why is that? I keep cache file on the ZFS root file system.
> >It is not used by the boot loader, but is loaded by the loader:
> >
> >	# tail -7 /boot/defaults/loader.conf
> >
> You can specify an alternate cache file location that doesn't have to be
> on the root file system.  By "the check was not complete", I mean the
> "root is R/W" check doesn't ensure that the cache file is located on a
> file system mounted R/W.

Ah, sorry for my lame English. I read 'need not be on the root file
system' as your recommendation against putting cache file there.
All is clear now.

FreeBSD committer                         http://www.FreeBSD.org
Am I Evil? Yes, I Am!                     http://yomoli.com