zfs snapshot management

Arnaud Houdelette tzim at tzim.net
Thu Jun 9 15:16:17 UTC 2011

Hi !

I use home-made scripts as I found none that met my expectations.

I used the following aproach :

  - Do 1 (or more) snapshots each day, named @`date -u
+AUTO-%Y.%m.%d-%H.%M.%S-UTC`. (no @daily, @weekly, @monthly ...
snapshots)

  - Run a cleanup script to destroy uneeded snapshots, using " zfs get
-Hpo value creation $snap " to get snapshot times, thus avoiding
daylight saving issues.

Said script calculates first snapshot to keep and deletes older
snapshots, then calculates next snapshot to keep and deletes
'in-betweens' and so on.

I used said snapshots with a patched samba vfs_shadowcopy2 'til samba35
broke the patch.

I can provide the scripts if wanted.

Arnaud Houdelette