zfs snapshot management

Marco van Tol marco at tols.org
Tue Jun 7 16:04:14 UTC 2011

On Tue, Jun 07, 2011 at 07:40:04PM +0400, Emil Muratov wrote:

> >>Since there seems to be a fair number of serious zfs users here, I was
> >>hoping for some further suggestions for use in either case.  Any
> >>input is
> >>welcome...
> >
> >We've had plenty of good experiences with sysutils/zfs-snapshot-mgmt
>
> I have had problems with this tool regarding daylight saving time
> changes and snapshot aging calculation. I wrote to the author but didn't
> get any response.
> I used zfSnap (/usr/ports/sysutils/zfsnap) as a very good alternative
> for quite a long time, but now it's broken for v28 since zfs -r behavior
> for snapshots has changed. Hope there will be a fix for it someday.

Isn't it so that cron is aware of daylight savings time changes, and
will not run the same cronjob twice if on a given day hour x occurs
twice?  Or can be configured to be aware of that?

An alternative I'm using at the moment is to have root be in UTC.
Downside is that your snapshot names will be in UTC time.

Just thinking outloud, didn't give it lots of thought.

Marco

--
Success is having to worry about every damn thing in the world, except money.
- Johnny Cash