NFSv4 at Diskless Station

Rick Macklem rmacklem at uoguelph.ca
Sat Jun 4 00:21:28 UTC 2011

> Tobiasz wrote:
> Hello,
> I have a little problem with FreeBsd9 at the diskless station. I want
> configure NFSv4 server on it, I have specific configuration and I dont
> know
> which kernel modules are necessary to work correctly. Could you say
> which
> modules are the most important and which order of loading them is ok.
> Could
> I load these modules by kldload after boot system?
>
> When I load nfs_common, nfsclient.ko, nfsserver.ko with kldload, then
> configure nfsv4 server and when i am trying to mount nfsv4 client on
> other
> station it mounts nfsv3 client.
> Best regards, Tobiasz Siemiński.

Those modules are the old server that doesn't support NFSv4. You can set
the following in /etc/rc.conf:
nfs_server_enable="YES"
nfsv4_server_enable="YES"

or if you want to load the module yourself, do a:
# kldload nfsd.ko     <-- it will load any others that are needed

You'll also need a "V4:" line in your /etc/exports.

Look at "man nfsv4" for more info, rick
ps: The diskless root fs needs to use nfsv3, but other mounts can
    be NFSv4.