Are thumpers still interesting in 2011 ? (raidz3 on x4500 @ 3.0gbps ...)

Gerrit Kühn gerrit at pmp.uni-hannover.de
Tue Jul 5 08:10:48 UTC 2011

On Tue, 05 Jul 2011 09:54:50 +0200 Michael Fuckner <michael at fuckner.net>
wrote about Re: Are thumpers still interesting in 2011 ? (raidz3 on x4500
@ 3.0gbps ...):

MF> LSI 9211-8i- but I don't know anything about the price.

Something around 200,-€ as far as I can see. This boils down to more than
20,-€/disk which is about twice the price of a cheap LSI1068 card (around
11,-€/disk). If you build machines with 24, 36 or even more disks, this
can become quite an issue.

MF> Integrated Raid is currently not supported, but they work as HBA with
MF> 8.2-STABLE.

I guess the integrated raid is the problem when it comes to the price. I'm
looking for something without integrated raid, which is usually much
cheaper. Thanks for the hint, anyway.

cu
  Gerrit