ZFS help!

Adam Vande More amvandemore at gmail.com
Mon Jan 31 19:23:10 UTC 2011

On Mon, Jan 31, 2011 at 1:15 PM, Mike Tancsa <mike at sentex.net> wrote:

> On 1/29/2011 10:13 PM, James R. Van Artsdalen wrote:
> > On 1/28/2011 4:46 PM, Mike Tancsa wrote:
> >>
> >> I had just added another set of disks to my zfs array. It looks like the
> >> drive cage with the new drives is faulty.  I had added a couple of files
> >> to the main pool, but not much.  Is there any way to restore the pool
> >> below ? I have a lot of files on ad0,1,4,6 and ada4,5,6,7 and perhaps
> >> one file on the new drives in the bad cage.
> >
> > Get another enclosure and verify it works OK.  Then move the disks from
> > the suspect enclosure to the tested enclosure and try to import the pool.
> >
> > The problem may be cabling or the controller instead - you didn't
> > specify how the disks were attached or which version of FreeBSD you're
> > using.
> >

> OK, good news (for me) it seems. New cage and all seems to be recognized
> correctly.  The history is

> 2010-04-22.14:27:38 zpool add tank1 raidz /dev/ada4 /dev/ada5 /dev/ada6
> /dev/ada7
> 2010-06-11.13:49:33 zfs create tank1/argus-data
> 2010-06-11.13:49:41 zfs create tank1/argus-data/previous
> 2010-06-11.13:50:38 zfs set compression=off tank1/argus-data
> 2010-08-06.12:20:59 zpool replace tank1 ad1 ad1
> 2010-09-16.10:17:51 zpool upgrade -a
> 2011-01-28.11:45:43 zpool add tank1 raidz /dev/ada0 /dev/ada1 /dev/ada2
> /dev/ada3
>
> FreeBSD RELENG_8 from last week, 8G of RAM, amd64.
>
>  zpool status -v
>  pool: tank1
>  state: ONLINE
> status: One or more devices has experienced an error resulting in data
>        corruption.  Applications may be affected.
> action: Restore the file in question if possible.  Otherwise restore the
>        entire pool from backup.
>   see: http://www.sun.com/msg/ZFS-8000-8A
>  scrub: none requested
> config:
>
>        NAME        STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
>         tank1       ONLINE       0     0     0
>           raidz1    ONLINE       0     0     0
>            ad0     ONLINE       0     0     0
>            ad1     ONLINE       0     0     0
>            ad4     ONLINE       0     0     0
>            ad6     ONLINE       0     0     0
>          raidz1    ONLINE       0     0     0
>             ada0    ONLINE       0     0     0
>            ada1    ONLINE       0     0     0
>            ada2    ONLINE       0     0     0
>            ada3    ONLINE       0     0     0
>           raidz1    ONLINE       0     0     0
>             ada5    ONLINE       0     0     0
>             ada8    ONLINE       0     0     0
>             ada7    ONLINE       0     0     0
>            ada6    ONLINE       0     0     0
>
> errors: Permanent errors have been detected in the following files:
>
>        /tank1/argus-data/previous/argus-sites-radium.2011.01.28.16.00
>        tank1/argus-data:<0xc6>
>        /tank1/argus-data/argus-sites-radium
>
> 0(offsite)# zpool get all tank1
> NAME   PROPERTY       VALUE       SOURCE
> tank1  size           14.5T       -
> tank1  used           7.56T       -
> tank1  available      6.94T       -
> tank1  capacity       52%         -
> tank1  altroot        -           default
> [...]

A scrub will not help fix those files, but if it was me I'd do it anyway to
ensure consistency.

http://dlc.sun.com/osol/docs/content/ZFSADMIN/gbbwl.html

I've seen similar types of corruption on ZFS when using devices that don't
obey cache flush.   Perhaps this can help provide some understanding.

http://blogs.digitar.com/jjww/2006/12/shenanigans-with-zfs-flushing-and-intelligent-arrays/

--
Adam Vande More