Errors booting of the ZFS alternative mirror disk

Jeremy Chadwick freebsd at jdc.parodius.com
Sun Jan 30 19:43:36 UTC 2011

On Sun, Jan 30, 2011 at 08:32:50PM +0100, Willem Jan Withagen wrote:
> On 30-1-2011 16:02, Jeremy Chadwick wrote:

> >> FreeBSD big.medusa.nl 8.2-PRERELEASE FreeBSD 8.2-PRERELEASE #2: Sat Jan
> >> 29 22:11:44 CET 2011     wjw at big.medusa.nl:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/BIG  amd64
> >>
> >> Haven't tested it with this version though, but only with the build I
> >> did on 22 Jan, and then it didn't work.
> >
> > Thanks.  The reason I asked for this was that there were some changes to
> > the ZFS bootloader which may have addressed your problem, but those
> > would have been before January 29th.
>
> Oke, enough reason to update again, and see what comes of it.
> It will have to wait until some of the bonnie tests are completed.

Sorry, I should be more clear: the changes I was referring to was
committed back in September 2010, which means your RELENG_8 kernel of
January 29th already has it.  There's no need to update again.

What I'm referring to:

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-fs/2010-August/009016.html
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-fs/2010-August/009018.html

> > This command looks suspicious thought, specifically the "-b34" argument:

> > Someone else will have to comment on the implications of that; I don't
> > use GPT.
>
> Right, I see, but this comes from the "manuals" like:
> http://www.freebsdwiki.net/index.php/ZFS,_booting_from#Create_GPT_Disks
>
> And just to counter your suggestion:
> 	It does work for the "regular" first disk!
> 	So why not for a second disk?

As stated, someone else will have to comment on the gpart arguments, as
well as what the actual problem is.  I don't have an answer.