Multiple ZFS pools and booting

Marcus Müller znek at mulle-kybernetik.com
Sun Jan 16 11:00:35 UTC 2011

Hi Ronald,

> Shouldn't you set the boot device in /boot/loader.conf?
> I have this line:
> vfs.root.mountfrom="zfs:zroot"

that's just about setting the root partition (what get's mounted as "/"). Interestingly, its mountpoint property doesn't have to be "/", thus you can have any ZFS filesystem mounted as root (given, that its contents are suitable for this).

My question was more or less from which pool /boot/loader.conf is read from initially. I suspect that the order of pools on a single disk is sequentially read, starting from the first partition.

In the meantime I've created a virtual machine with the same setup as my server. I can confirm that any exported or destroyed pools are not tested, which is as I expected.

The only question I have left now is if there is any option/property to skip an imported pool from being used as a pool to boot from?

Cheers,

  Marcus

--
Marcus Mueller  .  .  .  crack-admin/coder ;-)
Mulle kybernetiK  .  http://www.mulle-kybernetik.com