New ZFSv28 patchset for 8-STABLE

Ivan Brawley ivan at brawley.id.au
Mon Jan 10 23:15:49 UTC 2011

On 10/Jan/2011, Pawel Jakub Dawidek wrote:
 > On Sat, Dec 18, 2010 at 10:00:11AM +0100, Krzysztof Dajka wrote:
 > > Patch applied cleanly.
 > >=20
 > > #make buildworld
 > > #make buildkernel
 > > #make installkernel
 > > Reboot into single user mode.
 > > #mergemaster -p
 > > #make installworld
 > > #mergemaster
 > > Reboot.
 > >

 > > Rebooting with old world and new kernel went fine. But after reboot
 > > with new world I got:
 > > ZFS: zfs_alloc()/zfs_free() mismatch
 > > Just before loading kernel modules, after that my system hangs.
 >
 > Could you tell me more about you pool configuration?
 > 'zpool status' output might be helpful.

I too got hit by the same thing with my workstation.

My configuration is 3 x 1.5TB SATA drives in a RAIDZ set and I have a
SSD split into two to use as L2ARC and ZIL (yeah, I know, one SSD only,
all the fun and games should it die... That's what backups are for :-).

# zpool status bang_raidz
   pool: bang_raidz
  state: ONLINE
  scan: scrub repaired 0 in 7h55m with 0 errors on Sat Jan  1 16:16:13 2011
config:

         NAME        STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
         bang_raidz  ONLINE       0     0     0
           raidz1-0  ONLINE       0     0     0
             ada1p3  ONLINE       0     0     0
             ada2p3  ONLINE       0     0     0
             ada3p3  ONLINE       0     0     0
         logs
           ada4p2    ONLINE       0     0     0
         cache
           ada4p3    ONLINE       0     0     0

errors: No known data errors

I've tried upgrading the pool to v28 without luck. I can import the pool
if I boot from alternate media (which is what I'm currently doing).

Doing some debugging, the problem seems to be when zfs_free() is called
by sys/boot/zfs/zfsimpl.c:zio_read().

I've been trying to replicate the problem with VirtualBox but without
luck thus far.

Another interesting bit is:

# zdb bang_raidz
zdb: can't open 'bang_raidz': No such file or directory

The system was originally at 8.1R and had it's zpool upgraded to along
the way to v15 before this as well (just as another data point).

ivan.
--
Ivan Brawley