Another Phoronix article

Bob Friesenhahn bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us
Sun Jan 9 02:22:06 UTC 2011

On Sun, 9 Jan 2011, Ivan Voras wrote:

> Phoronix is not exactly the epitome of correct benchmarking but it appears
> that they've at least recently found out about the existence of error bars.

Yes, but you go read the site anyway.

> In summary: very varied results, some are expected (low parallel write small
> IOPS for FreeBSD), some are not (apparently the BSDs have a monopoly on
> high-performance gzip :) ). But overall, pretty good relative results for
> FreeBSD, better than earlier.

Most of the results don't seem very believable to me.  The filesystems
behave quite differently in terms of the filesystem coherency they
assure.  Filesystem caching can also be quite different.  There is no
telling what these various benchmarks are actually measuring.

The only slightly trustable benchmark I saw was the time to extract
the Linux kernel, and that has to be taken with a grain of salt since
it is not clear what would be on disk if one was to pull the power
plug immediately when the extraction was claimed to be done.  In some
cases, possibly almost nothing.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn