HEADS UP: ZFSv28 is in!

Fabian Keil freebsd-listen at fabiankeil.de
Mon Feb 28 18:34:21 UTC 2011

Pawel Jakub Dawidek <pjd at FreeBSD.org> wrote:

> I just committed ZFSv28 to HEAD.

I updated the system without removing the tuning for ZFSv15
first, and somehow this completely messed up the performance.
Booting the system took more than ten minutes and even once
it was up it was next to unresponsive.

I'm not sure which sysctl was to blame, but after removing
all but vfs.zfs.arc_max="800M" and rebooting, the problem
was gone.

I haven't seen this issue with earlier ZFS updates,
so maybe this would be worth mentioning in UPDATING?

Anyway, the things I tested so far (zfs/zpool upgrade,
delegation, send, receive, snapshot) worked fine.

Thanks a lot.

Fabian