showmount sometimes slow with carp

Mickaël Canévet canevet at embl.fr
Wed Feb 16 12:22:21 UTC 2011

Hi,

I installed a redundant NAS with FreeBSD 8.2RC3 + Hast + ZFS + Carp.

Each machine has its own IP address, and share a virtual IP with carp.

When I launch 'showmount -e <one machine real ip>' from a linux client
or a freebsd client, I got my answer immediately (about 5ms). But when I
try with carp virtual IP or FQDN, it sometimes takes around 20 seconds,
or even 1 minute, but not everytime.

It is really annoying because automount, at least the linux version,
seams to use showmount to get server exports. So it sometimes does not
work through the carp virtual IP.

Can anybody help me ?

Thanks a lot,

Mickaël