ext2fs: ext2 vs. ext3

Oliver Fromme olli at lurza.secnetix.de
Tue Feb 15 13:30:54 UTC 2011

Oliver Fromme wrote:
 > Ollivier Robert wrote:
 > > According to Oliver Fromme:
 > > > because FAT has a 4 GB limit [...]
 > >
 > > FAT32 ought to be able to get over that 4 GB limit, does it?
 >
 > No, it doesn't, unfortunately.  The newer exFAT gets over
 > the 4 GB limit, but exFAT is not supported by FreeBSD.

Just to be clear:  I'm talking about file size limit, not
volume size limit.  All FAT versions up to (and including)
FAT32 store the file size in an unsigned 32 bit integer,
so the maximum is 4 GB - 1 byte.  However, a single HDTV
recording can easily exceed 4 GB, so FAT is unsuitable for
that purpose.

Best regards
   Oliver

"I made up the term 'object-oriented', and I can tell you
I didn't have C++ in mind."
        -- Alan Kay, OOPSLA '97