ext2fs: ext2 vs. ext3

Oliver Fromme olli at lurza.secnetix.de
Tue Feb 15 11:51:16 UTC 2011

Alexander Leidinger wrote:
 > Oliver Fromme wrote:
 > > The media player is Linux-based, so I can't use UFS.  Even
 > > worse, it refuses to mount ext2, while ext3 seems to work
 > > fine.  So my only choice is to format the disk with ext3,
 > > because FAT has a 4 GB limit and NTFS is unsupported on
 > > FreeBSD for practical purposes.
 >
 > The sysutils/fusefs-ntfs port does not work for you?

It is slow.  I mean *REALLY* slow, it's basically unusable.
Remember I'm trying to fill and update a 1 TB disk here
with video files that are typically several GB in size.
The disk will have reached the end of its warranty before
the data transfer is completed.

I have specifically bought an external enclosure that also
has eSATA (beside USB2) so I have the full head-to-platter
bandwidth of the disk.  But the FUSE NTFS driver is not
much faster than USB1 (this is not the fault of FUSE,
in fact the ntfscp tool from the sysutils/ntfsprogs port
is just as slow).

Best regards
   Oliver

Python is executable pseudocode.  Perl is executable line noise.