kern/154228: [md] md getting stuck in wdrain state

Carl k0802647 at telus.net
Tue Feb 8 11:00:28 UTC 2011

The following reply was made to PR kern/154228; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Carl <k0802647 at telus.net>
To: bug-followup at FreeBSD.org, k0802647 at telus.net
Subject: Re: kern/154228: [md] md getting stuck in wdrain state
Date: Tue, 08 Feb 2011 02:59:41 -0800

 For whatever reason I was not copied on the patch message, despite being
 the bug reporter.

 The explanation for that patch is more than a little obscure. In simpler
 terms, what have you uncovered?

 Does that patch implement a complete fix, partial fix, a workaround, or
 what? Is it recommended I try it?

 Did someone manage to reproduce my problem scenario?

 Yesterday I ran into the same bug. Similar but different exercise. Again
 on a remote production system. I had no choice but to try again, so I
 repeated the procedure, only using a non-sparse file instead. It hung
 yet again, so that should rule out sparse files as part of the problem.

 I noticed in the mdconfig(8) man page this description for the "-o
 [no]async" option:

    'For vnode backed devices: avoid IO_SYNC for increased
     performance but at the risk of deadlocking the entire
     kernel.'

 It seems to me the default would be "-o noasync" and that this is
 supposed to avoid that particular risk for deadlock, but what command
 can I use to verify whether a particular enabled memory disk is actually
 using IO_SYNC or not?

 Carl                                                   / K0802647