ext2fs crash in -current (r218056)

Jeremy Chadwick freebsd at jdc.parodius.com
Wed Feb 2 22:20:25 UTC 2011

On Wed, Feb 02, 2011 at 05:04:03PM -0500, John Baldwin wrote:
> On Wednesday, February 02, 2011 04:13:48 pm Doug Barton wrote:
> > I haven't had a chance to test this patch yet, but John's did not work
> > (sorry):
> >
> > http://dougbarton.us/ext2fs-crash-dump-2.jpg
> >
> > No actual dump this time either.
> >
> > I'm happy to test the patch below on Thursday if there is consensus that
> > it will work.
>
> Err, this is a different panic than what you reported earlier.  Your disk died
> and spewed a bunch of EIO errors.  I can look at the locking assertion failure
> tomorrow, but this is a differnt issue.  Even UFS needed a good bit of work to
> handle disks dying gracefully.

Are the byte offsets shown in the screenshot within the range of the
drive's capacity?  They're around the 10.7GB mark, but I have no idea
what size disk is being used.

The reason I ask is that there have been reported issues in the past
where the offsets shown are way outside of the range of the permitted
byte offsets of the disk itself (and in some cases even showing a
negative number; what is it with people not understanding the difference
between signed and unsigned types?  Sigh), and I want to make sure this
isn't one of those situations.  I also don't know if underlying
filesystem corruption could cause the problem in question ("filesystem
says you should write to block N, which is outside of the permitted
range of the device").

Specifically with regards to the I/O errors: I can assist with verifying
the disk has a problem, but I forget if smartmontools will work under
FreeBSD if the hard disk is attached via umass or not.

Doug, if you feel like installing sysutils/smartmontools and providing
output from "smartctl -a /dev/da0" -- assuming it works -- I can help
you with verifying that.  It's not a 100% reliable method, but it's
absolutely better than nothing.