AOC-USAS2-L8i zfs panics and SCSI errors in messages

Peter Maloney peter.maloney at brockmann-consult.de
Fri Dec 23 08:22:59 UTC 2011

On 11/07/2011 04:36 PM, Douglas Gilbert wrote:
> On 11-11-07 03:56 AM, Rich wrote:
>> Observation - the LSI SAS expanders, in my experience, sometimes
>> misbehave when there are drives which respond slower than some timeout
>> to commands (as far as I've seen it's only SATA drives it does this
>> for, but I don't have many SAS drives for comparison), leading to all
>> further commands to that drive for a bit not working, and then what
>> happens depending on the OS varies dramatically.
>>
>> If you could try without an expander (e.g. with 1->4 SAS->SATA fanout
>> cables), you may be surprised (and/or annoyed) to find your life gets
>> better.
>
> SAS-2 expanders are better than the original generation.
> [LSI makes both.] SAS-2 added the CONFIGURE GENERAL SMP
> function which contains various timeout tweaks for the
> STP protocol (i.e. the protocol that tunnels (S)ATA
> commands between a SAS HBA (initiator) and an expander).
>
> If you are using SAS-2 expanders and FreeBSD 9.0 then you
> can fetch my smp_utils package and use the smp_conf_general
> utility to change those timeout settings. If you have SAS-2
> expanders but an older version of FreeBSD then you will
> need Solaris or Linux to run my smp_utils package in order
> to change those timeout values on the expander.
>
> Doug Gilbert
>
> BTW smp_rep_general will show the current settings of those
> STP timeouts.

Doug,

Thank you for your suggestion. I have a similar problem to Karli's, and
your suggestion is next on my list, but I have some questions.

If I boot off of a Linux/Solaris/FreeBSD 9 USB stick and run the tools,
does the change persist on reboot? (I would assume yes since you
suggested using Linux/Solaris)

For FreeBSD 9, do I get the package from ports?

If I run it from Linux, where do I get the package from?

Thanks,
Peter