ZFS dedup and replication

Peter Maloney peter.maloney at brockmann-consult.de
Fri Dec 2 19:04:38 UTC 2011

Am 02.12.2011 15:50, schrieb Jeremy Chadwick:
> On Fri, Dec 02, 2011 at 03:27:03PM +0100, Michel Le Cocq wrote:
>> it's just me or there is no attachment ?
> The mailing list stripped the attachment.  The previous individual will
> need to put it up on the web somewhere.

It is possible that I forgot to attach it. I assumed it would be
stripped off but the ones in the to/cc would get it.

Here it is on the company website:

http://www.brockmann-consult.de/peter2/zfs.tgz

Disclaimer/notes:
-provided as is... might destroy your system, furthermore, I am not
responsible for bodily injury nor nuclear war that may result from misuse
-there are no unit tests, and no documentation other than a few comments
that are possibly only coherent when I read them. For example, it says
that it does it recursively and rolls back the destination dataset, but
there are a few undocumented cases I can't remember when I needed to do
something manual like delete a snapshot, or destroy a dataset. Maybe
that is all in the past. I don't know.
-the zfs_repl2.bash is the one that makes snapshots and replicates which
I wrote myself. The other ksh one is the Oracle one I linked above, and
the .sh version of it was just what I was working on to try to make it
work reliably, before redoing it all myself (reinventing the wheel is
indeed fun).
-especially beware of the deleteOldSnapshots.bash which is not well
tested and not used yet (and deleteEmptySnapshots.bash which does not
work and I believe cannot work).
-granted transferable your choice of any present or future version of
the BSD or GPL license

and another note, I meant to study these which might be better versions
of the same thing, or something different, but never got around to it:
    /usr/ports/sysutils/zfs-replicate/
    /usr/ports/sysutils/zfsnap/
    /usr/ports/sysutils/zfs-periodic