zfs snapshot: Bad file descriptor

Gerrit Kühn gerrit at pmp.uni-hannover.de
Tue Aug 23 15:03:02 UTC 2011

Hi all,

since upgrading some of my storage machines to recent 8.2-stable and
zfs-v28 I see the following on some filesystems after some time of
operation:

---
mclane# ll /tank/home/pt/.zfs
ls: snapshot: Bad file descriptor
total 0
---

I make quite heavy use of snapshots on all my machines and use rsync to
backup snapshots to other machines.
Googleing around I found several people reporting similar problems, but no
real solution (apart from rebooting, which is not really a thing you want
to do every time you run into this).
Is there any knowledge/ideas available over the list here how to improve
this situation? Am I just one of the few unlucky people who see this, or is
there an actual reason for this happening that could be fixed or
circumvented?

cu
  Gerrit