Questions about erasing an ssd to restore performance under FreeBSD

Jeremy Chadwick freebsd at jdc.parodius.com
Fri Aug 5 04:47:40 UTC 2011

On Thu, Aug 04, 2011 at 08:30:01PM -0700, Jeremy Chadwick wrote:
> I can put that patch up on the web, but be aware it's more of a "hack"
> because /usr/include/sys/ata.h needs certain bits added to it, which I
> just defined in camcontrol.c for the time being.  There's also user
> interface pieces which are half-written which I need to remove.  I
> wouldn't want people patching their camcontrol for this functionality
> with a half-ass patch is what I'm saying.  :-)

I've cleaned up the patch (removed the half-written usage stuff) and
made it available.

http://jdc.parodius.com/freebsd/camcontrol_ata_security/

If this is committed to base the #define ATA_SECURITY_* entries should
be moved into include/sys/ata.h.

Steve, if you want to put up your patch somewhere I can review it, but
an official review from someone more familiar with CAM (e.g. mav@) would
be best.

I'm also not sure how you implemented all the features,
UI-wise (command-line-argument-wise).  This is what I came up with, from
my internal docs, with comparative syntax in Linux hdparm:

NOTE: Should try to avoid using -C, -E, -n, -t, -u, or -v

camcontrol security -U -p PWD   == unlock         (--security-unlock PWD)
camcontrol security -S -p PWD   == set password   (--security-set-pass PWD)
camcontrol security -D -p PWD   == disable        (--security-disable PWD)
camcontrol security -X -p PWD   == erase          (--security-erase PWD)
camcontrol security -Z -p PWD   == enhanced erase (--security-erase-enhanced PWD)
camcontrol security -i TYPE ... == {user,master}  (--user-master USER)

| UNIX Systems Administrator                   Mountain View, CA, US |