Why not just name the cam-ata devices the same as the old names?

Jason J. Hellenthal jhell at DataIX.net
Wed Apr 27 06:59:45 UTC 2011

On Wed, Apr 27, 2011 at 10:44:58AM +0400, Pan Tsu wrote:
>"Jason J. Hellenthal" <jhell at DataIX.net> writes:
>
>> I do not know if this was summed up in a easy way by Jeremy's nice
>> message below but in short a summary can be made here to clear that up.
>>
>> /dev/gptid/* /dev/gpt/*
>> 	* These survive its raw partition being newfs'd
>> 	* Are only created for disks that are partitioned
>> 	  and contain a GPT table as can be seen with gpart
>> 	  show
>> 	* Operations on these or the raw partition will not remove them.
>
>Not sure if we have support for labels based on disk serial number
>similar to /dev/serno/* from DragonFlyBSD but
>
>/dev/serno/*
>	* no extra step to setup, e.g. `gpart create' or `newfs'
>	* survive wiping entire disk, no metadata stored on-disk
>	* available on every ata disk

Not as far as I am aware. I have not seen anything similiar to that
committed to the FreeBSD source within the last six months or before.

--

 Regards, (jhell)
 Jason Hellenthal