Why not just name the cam-ata devices the same as the old names?

Doug Barton dougb at FreeBSD.org
Tue Apr 26 23:47:47 UTC 2011

On 04/26/2011 16:04, Mikael Fridh wrote:
> Are labels such a perilous affair that you can't just start
> recommending them and/or default to them?

As far as I can tell, yes. We have various different tools that do
different things, all calling themselves "labels" which don't all work
together well. It's also unclear how many (if any) of those solutions
will survive the file system being newfs'ed.

I made this point elsewhere, but this is an area where linux really has
us beat. At install time a UUID is created for a file system if it
doesn't already have one and it's referred to that way in fstab. My
understanding (although I have yet to test it) is that they survive
newfs because they are not located on the fs itself. When I first saw
this I thought it was ugly (read, different) but having worked with it a
little bit I think it's a much superior method, and would have made the
current concerns completely irrelevant.
http://www.linux.com/archive/feature/146951

Doug

			-- OK Go