Why not just name the cam-ata devices the same as the old names?

Doug Barton dougb at FreeBSD.org
Tue Apr 26 18:29:57 UTC 2011

On 04/26/2011 11:20, Alexander Best wrote:
> personally i think maintaining backwards compatibility to adX is unnecessary.
> the adaY names will appear in 9.0. anybody upgrading to a major new release
> should expect to adjust certain config files and it's not really a big deal.

The problem is that this is not a realistic point of view. When there
are very good reasons to make changes like this we do it, but there has
to be a *really* good reason. Something like this which is going to
cause systems to fail when users reboot them better have an
overwhelmingly good reason.

And yes, I get that from a developer perspective we expect users to read
documentation, they should know what they are doing before they do it,
blah blah blah. Like I said, this is NOT a reasonable perspective, and
screwing the users over in this way is going to do nothing but damage
FreeBSD's reputation. Need I remind everyone on this list of the
problems that have resulted from removing support for "dangerously
dedicated" disks? Now imagine that 100 times over.

So, my question stands.

Doug

			-- OK Go