Do the IDs under /dev/ufsid change when the partition is newfs'ed?

Doug Barton dougb at FreeBSD.org
Tue Apr 26 17:41:07 UTC 2011

On 04/26/2011 00:28, Brooks Davis wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 25, 2011 at 12:55:38PM -0700, Doug Barton wrote:
>> INRE the current discussion about labeling and how to refer to devices
>> in fstab, I'm curious if the IDs in /dev/ufsid change when the partition
>> is newfs'ed.
>
> A simple experiment confirms the answer is yes:

Thanks. I didn't think I had a spare partition that I could newfs, then
late last night I remembered that I did. So this sort of throws cold
water on the idea of using ufsids in fstab as a way to avoid problems
with the ata-cam conversion.

I'll experiment with glabel on my own, meanwhile does anyone know off
hand if there is a way to write something to a UFS partition that won't
be erased when it is newfs'ed?

Doug

			-- OK Go