question on extended attributes

Rick Macklem rmacklem at uoguelph.ca
Wed Apr 20 21:45:59 UTC 2011

> On Fri, Apr 15, 2011 at 08:19:36PM -0400, Rick Macklem wrote:
> > I don't believe that resource forks are available under FreeBSD at
> > this
> > time. Solaris supports the "subfile" concept, which is basically the
> > same
> > as far as I know, so it seems there might be something inside ZFS,
> > although
> > I suspect it isn't available for FreeBSD?
> >
> > Does anyone familiar with ZFS know more?
>
> ZFS in FreeBSD supports extended attributes based on Solaris resource
> forks code. Take a look at the zfs_create_attrname() function in
> sys/cddl/contrib/opensolaris/uts/common/fs/zfs/zfs_vnops.c to see how
> we
> convert the names, etc.

Hmm. NFSv4 supports the resource forks model, too. (They called them
named attributes.) I suppose that there would have to be some new VOPs
though. For example, the NFSv4 server needs to be able to get all the
attribute names, so it can generate a reply to the client (in that ugly
readdir xdr format) and I don't think there's a way in the current VFS
to ask "give me all the extended attribute names", is there?

Might be worth looking at someday, rick
ps: I know. Slightly off topic.