question on extended attributes

Jeremy Chadwick freebsd at jdc.parodius.com
Sat Apr 16 00:01:16 UTC 2011

On Fri, Apr 15, 2011 at 05:01:58PM -0500, Daniel Mayfield wrote:
> I'm trying to use rsync and rsnapshot to make backup copies of my Mac to my freebsd 8.2 server .  When I specify syncing extended attributes as well, I get an error for any file on the Mac that has a resource fork:
>
> rsync: rsync_xal_set: lsetxattr("Documents/<foo>","com.apple.ResourceFork") failed: No space left on device (28)
>
> I'd love to work on fixing this, but I'm seeing a bunch of references to UFS1 vs UFS2 in the extended attribute readme.  But I'm not sure what I'm actually using (I took the default when it setup, which says ufs2+softdep, but mount simply says ufs).
>
> Can someone help point me in the right direction?

Sorry if this sounds harsh or rude, but can I ask you what exactly
extended filesystem attributes (usually ACLs) have to do with file
resource forks on OS X?  AFAIK they have nothing to do with one another.

Also, you're aware of how Apple solved the resource fork problem when
archiving something in a .zip file, right?  The "_MACOSX" directory
within the .zip.

So basically what I'm saying/getting at is this: there is no solution
for the resource fork issue on Apple products, since nothing other than
Apple products knows/supports resource forks..  And this comes from
someone who's an old Apple II developer (yes, we had resource forks on
files on the IIGS).  You may have to detect files with resource forks
and .zip them first.