RFC: make the experimental NFS subsystem the default one

Rick Macklem rmacklem at uoguelph.ca
Fri Apr 15 13:18:10 UTC 2011

Hi,

I think that the experimental NFS server is now ready for generic use
and that the experimental NFS client will be soon, after some commits
over the next week or so.

How do folks feel w.r.t. making these the default?

My plan is to make the server the default first (the "-e" option on
mountd and nfsd would become a no-op) and a new option on mountd and
nfsd ("-o" sound ok?) would be needed to run what is currently the
regular server. (I am not proposing taking out the regular client/server
at this time, simply making them the non-default ones.)

For the client, "newnfs" would become "nfs" and what is now "nfs"
would become "oldnfs" for file system type. (This wouldn't happen
until a series of commits bring "newnfs" in line with "nfs" for
various things, including default mount options, plus diskless
booting for NFSv3 gets fixed.)

So, comments w.r.t. this would be appreciated, rick