zfs porting roadmap?

Chris Forgeron cforgeron at acsi.ca
Sat Apr 9 16:49:02 UTC 2011

Yes, hopefully pjd, mm, and some of the other FreeBSD contributors are in that secret working group. I was impressed with Solaris during the few months that I was running it as my primary ZFS OS, but I'd prefer to see ZFS mutate into something less OS specific, for easier future porting.

 I was the thread starter on OpenSolaris, because I was concerned about ZFS development after speaking with a few other ex-Oracle people who couldn't see anything happening in the open-source side of ZFS.

 It appears the group is secret enough that even Sun/Oracle employees who had put code into ZFS didn't know about it.  :-) Hopefully that fact that it exists is more open now, and more of those developers can join.

I'm sure it will become open to the public fairly soon - I can understand their need to keep it semi-private at the moment. We all run ZFS and have a lot of opinions about it, but only a very small number of us will put in the time to develop solid code for it. Too many opinions means nothing will get done.

Lukas: Why don't you enable encryption via geom; http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/disks-encrypting.html - You can make the geom disks the base that you feed to ZFS.

One of the tasty things in v31 is mirrored copies of metadata, allowing for striped read access to that data.  I believe they were quoting 15% increase in metadata access speed.