Still getting kmem exhausted panic

Kostik Belousov kostikbel at gmail.com
Tue Sep 28 18:37:20 UTC 2010

On Tue, Sep 28, 2010 at 08:17:43PM +0300, Andriy Gapon wrote:
> ARC is a ZFS private cache.
> ZFS doesn't use unified buffer/page cache.
> So ARC is not directly affected by pagedaemon.
> But this is not exactly VFS layer thing.
As a pure speculation, unbacked by any code reasing or understanding
of the principles. Can ARC be changed to use some custom vm pager
instead of managing memory on its own. As I understand it, ARC
uses wired kernel mappings right now.

If it starts using managed pages backed by a new pager, then pagedaemon
might take actual decisions on the cache shrink by putting and reclaiming
pages. Does ARC has some `active' count for the caching unit ? It might be
translated to the active count for the page etc.

Did I said that this is Pure Speculation ? Seems so, right at the
beginning.