Still getting kmem exhausted panic

Jeremy Chadwick freebsd at jdc.parodius.com
Tue Sep 28 13:37:10 UTC 2010

On Tue, Sep 28, 2010 at 03:22:01PM +0300, Andriy Gapon wrote:
> on 28/09/2010 14:50 Jeremy Chadwick said the following:
> > I believe the trick -- Andriy, please correct me if I'm wrong -- is the
>
> Wouldn't hurt to CC me, so that I could do it :-)
>
> > tuning of vfs.zfs.arc_max, which is now a hard limit rather than a "high
> > watermark".
>
> Not sure what you mean here.
> What is hard limit, what is high watermark, what is the difference and when is
> "now"? :-)

There was some speculation on the part of users a while back which lead
to this understanding.  Folks were seeing actual ARC usage higher than
what vfs.zfs.arc_max was set to (automatically or administratively).  I
believe it started here:

With the "high-water mark" statements being here:

The term implies that there is not an explicitly hard limit on the ARC
utilisation/growth.  As stated in the unix.derkeiler.com URL above, this
behaviour was in fact changed.  Why/when/how?  I had to go digging up
the commits -- this took me some time.  Here they are, labelled r197816,
for RELENG_8 and RELENG_7 respectively.  These were both committed on