FreeNAS vs OpenSolaris vs Nexenta ZFS Benchmarks

Josh Paetzel josh at tcbug.org
Sun Sep 12 21:40:43 UTC 2010

On Sunday 12 September 2010 15:35:47 Robert Watson wrote:
> On Sun, 12 Sep 2010, Miroslav Lachman wrote:
> > I am sending this link to those interested in poor performance results of
> > FreeNAS (FreeBSD) and ZFS.
> >
> > http://www.zfsbuild.com/2010/09/10/freenas-vs-opensolaris-zfs-benchmarks/
>
> Ouch :-).
>
> In general, not my area, so I'll leave it to the ZFS folks, but I will
> comment that there's an InfiniBand project in flight -- Jeff Roberson's
> work on this can be found in Subversion.  I'm not sure what his schedule
> is, and presumably, there will be ZFS integration work to do even once the
> base InfiniBand stack is done.
>
> Robert

I'll respond and say that the current FreeNAS is based on FreeBSD 7, where ZFS
was an experimental filesystem.  I think a system based on FreeBSD 8 will
provide a better comparison.

I'm a tad confused about the whole "sharing a ZFS filesystem over iSCSI".  I
thought iSCSI was used to eport LUNs that you then put a filesystem on with a
client.

iSCSI on FreeBSD is fairly slow compared to other solutions, I think there is
some very preliminary work to fix that going on.

--
Thanks,

Josh Paetzel