ZFS related kernel panic

a.smith at ukgrid.net a.smith at ukgrid.net
Fri Sep 10 14:55:12 UTC 2010

Quoting Jeremy Chadwick <freebsd at jdc.parodius.com>:

> What we're looking for is something that resembles what's shown here
> (using this as an example):
>
> http://www.mail-archive.com/freebsd-xen@freebsd.org/msg00413.html
>
> The KDB and KDB_TRACE options should result in a backtrace automatically
> being shown when the system panics.  Are you absolutely certain your
> kernel config has the options Andriy provided, and you rebuilt +
> reinstalled the kernel?

Hi Jeremy,

   well Ive not had to built a custom kernel before, but Ive done the
make buildkernel and make installkernel and all seems to have gone
thro as expected. Here is the evidence from after a reboot:

# pwd
/usr/src/sys/amd64/conf
# grep KDB ZFSDEBUG
options         KDB
options         KDB_TRACE
[root at kappa /usr/src/sys/amd64/conf]# uname -a
FreeBSD kappa.ukgrid.net 8.1-RELEASE FreeBSD 8.1-RELEASE #0: Fri Sep
10 12:30:24 BST 2010
root at kappa.ukgrid.net:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/ZFSDEBUG  amd64

Any ideas?

thanks Andy.